Shymbulak Yurt Lodge
Duration: 3 days
Season: mid April – mid June
Mountain Range: Ile Alatau
mid April – mid June
Almaty city – Medeu sport complex – Shymbulak mountain resort – Talgar pass – Bogdanovich glacier
Meeting the guide in your hotel at 8 a.m. Transfer to Medeu sports complex. Ascent by cable car to the highest point of Shymbulak Mountain Resort – Talgar pass 3163 meters high. Yurt lodge check-in. There is traditional yurt, so the sleeping places will be arranged straight on the floor in sleeping bags. The whole yurt and the floor are heated. Electricity and water inside the yurt, rest room is outside. Touring in the area nearby resort. Few of the most interesting spots will be taken into consideration: Til’ glacier, couloirs of Shkol’nik, Chkalov and Edelweiss peak. Coming back to the yurt. Dinner in Kazakh national style. Overnight in the yurt.
Travel time: 5-6 hours
Elevation gain: 500-800 meters
Descend length ~ 5 km
Duration: 4-5 hours
Slope gradient: 20 – 40 degrees
Breakfast at 6.30 a.m. Instructions from the guide and preparing for the route. Backcountry to Fizkul’turnik peak or Pioneer pass. Coming back to the yurt. Free time. Dinner in Kazakh national style. Overnight in the yurt.
Travel time 5-6 hours.
Elevation gain: 900 meters.
Descend length ~ 5 km.
Slope gradient: 20 – 40 degrees.
Breakfast at 6.30 a.m. Instructions from the guide and preparing for the route. Not later than 7:30 a.m., start moving to the west, in direction of Bogdanovich Glacier. This day you will make ascent to Karlytau peak located in the cirque of Bogdanovich Glacier. Coming back to the yurt, rest. Apreski in “3200 Bar” or “Oblaka” restaurant, free time. At 4 pm descent to Shymbulak low station by cable car or skis and snowboards, depending on weather and snow conditions. Dinner in local cafe in Almaty.
Travel time: 6-7 hours.
Elevation gain: 1000 meters.
Descend length ~ 6 km.
Slope gradient: 20 – 40 degrees.
Read more about freeride spot >>
– avalanche equipment (air bag system and avalanche safety kit: shovel, probe, transciever)
– freeride backpack with ski/snowboard fixation (volume 25-40 liters)
– goggles with a spare lens for foggy conditions (better to have 2 goggles)
Personal clothing and accessories:
– comfortable functional clothing for riding downhill and skinning up the hill (base layer – thermal underwear, gore-tex jacket and pants, additional layers of clothing for insulation, downy sweater or vest)
– extra set of warm clothing, extra pair of shoes (sneakers or lightweight trekking shoes)
– sleeping bag with temperature rate 0C – +5C degrees in comfort zone
– two pairs of gloves or mittens (one light and one warm)
– warm hat, light cap, neck gaiter
– swimsuit, towel and flip-flops for visiting hot-springs and bath-house
– personal AID kit (adhesive plaster, emergency thermal blanket, individual medications)
– repair kit (spare parts and tools for adjustment and repair your bindings,duct tape, rubber straps)
– water tank
– head torch
– personal hygienic stuff
– spare batteries for your devices
– adaptor for outlet charging, if needed (220V 50Hz European outlet)
– ski/snowboard boots (for skiers with system of switching to walking mode)
– proper freeride skis/snowboard with touring bindings
– snowshoes (for snowboarders without splitboard)
– climbing skins
– telescopic poles
– ski/splitboard crampons
– alpinist crampons
– ice axe
– individual snacks for the route (energy and protein bars, muesli, dry fruits and nuts, special mount nutrition)
1. English-speaking skiing guide services.
2. Transfer Almaty – Medeu sport complex – Almaty.
3. Ascent from Medeu sport complex to Talgar pass by cable car.
4. Meals according to the program.
5. Accommodation in the yurt at Talgar pass with half board.
6. Daily ski-pass at Shymbulak in Day 1.
7. Drinking water.
1. Rental of ski and avalanche equipment (available upon request).
2. Visa support and registration in the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan, if required.
3. Meals (other than specified), personal expenses and other expenses not indicated in the program.
4. Accommodation in Almaty before / after the tour.
5. Insurance policy.
6. Cost of the dinner in Day 3 (~15-20 USD).
7. Lunch (can be arranged in the yurt or in the restaurant nearby).
Mountain and skiing guides in Kazakhstan, Freeride, Backcountry, Alpine touring and heli-skiing in Kazakhstan, Ski-mountaineering expeditions in Kazakhstan, Hut and yurt based backcountry in Kazakhstan, Freeride tours in Kazakhstan, Authentic freeride experience in Central Asia, Skiing guides in Almaty, Guided freeride tours in Almaty, Freeride ski resorts in Almaty, Backcountry trips in Kazakhstan, Tent backcountry camps in Kazakhstan
© Powder Nomads, Almaty city, Kazakhstan
All rights reserved.