Left Talgar Gorge Hike
Duration: 2 days
Season: June – October
Mountain Range: Ile Alatau
June – October
Almaty – Medeu – Kimasar Gorge – Butakovskiy pass – Left Talgar Gorge – Alpine Rose glade – Small Talgar pass – Big Talgar pass – Shymbulak – Medeu – Almaty.
Almaty – Medeu – Kimasar Gorge – Butakovskiy pass – Left Talgar Gorge – Alpine Rose glade.
Meeting with the guide at your place of staying in Almaty. Equipment check, briefing. Transfer to the Medeu skating rink. Hiking to the Kimasar gorge. We will make the first stop for a short rest near the local site – hanging swing, where you can have some fun and take impressive pictures. Then we continue moving along the ridge to the glade of Enthusiasts at the foothills of peak Furmanov. After the trail will lead us traverse along the slope, which already belongs to the Butakovka Gorge. Hike to the Butakovskiy pass with elevation 2900 meters. Here we will make another stop for rest and admire the gorgeous panoramic view of the Left Talgar and Butakovka Gorges, Bukreev and Talgar peaks. Descent to the Talgar River by winding and steep trail. After about two hours, having passed part of the forest, we will find ourselves in a wide flowering meadow, abundant in dense pink inflorescences of Ivan-tea, famous for its healing properties. We will hike up further to the gorge and after about an hour reach the Alpine Rose Glade, where we will set up our tents. Cooking dinner, making fire, relaxing and enjoying the atmosphere of wilderness.
Distance: 14 km.
Elevation gain/loss: +1200 meters/-800 meters.
Duration: 7-8 hours.
Highest point: Butakovskiy pass 2900 meters.
Camping altitude: 2200 meters.
Alpine Rose glade – Small Talgar pass – Big Talgar pass – Shymbulak – Medeu – Almaty.
This day we should wake up early for making radial hike to Sunny Glade, which is 6 km up to the gorge with elevation gain 500 meters. This hike will take 3-4 hours. After return we pack our camping equipment and backpacks and hike to the Small Talgar Pass with elevation 2800 meters. The way to the pass will take about 2 hours by steep and challenging trail. A short rest on the pass and we will continue our hike towards the cable cars of Shymbulak and the Big Talgar Pass, which will be clearly visible from this point. As we move, we will see breathtaking views of the four-thousanders and glaciers: Fizkulturnik, Chkalov, Abai peaks, Til and Ayak glaciers. After reaching the pass we will take rest like real Kazakh Nomads in traditional Yurt with home made national dishes, drinks and hospitality of the Hosts. Descent to Symbulak by cable car. Transfer to Medeu skating rink by eco taxi and then transfer back to Almaty.
Distance: 16 km.
Elevation gain/loss: +1500 meters/-500 meters.
Duration: 7-8 hours.
Highest point: Talgar pass 3163 meters.
– Light functional trekking long pants or leggings;
– T-shirt or light shirt with long sleeve;
– Cap or panama hat for sun and heat protection;
– Neck tube;
– Trekking waterproof boots or similar with a good protector sole and high lacing;
– Hiking gaiters (for feet protection in case of wet weather);
– Membrane or other water and wind resistant light jacket and pants;
– Raincoat poncho;
– Warm fleece or polartec jacket;
– Light down vest or puff;
– Thermal base layer;
– Two pair of hiking socks;
– Fleece or polartec gloves;
– Sunscreen with high UVA protection;
– Personal dishes: fork, spoon, mug, bowl, knife;
– Personal hygiene items;
– Small towel;
– Swimming suit;
– Water container;
– Thermos for hot tea;
– Trekking poles;
– Personal AID kit (pain and flu medication, adhesive tape, individual medications in case of having chronic diseases);
– Sleeping bag with temperature 0 +5 degrees Celsius in comfort zone;
– Sleeping pad;
– Hiking backpack with volume 50-70 liters;
– Backpack rain cover;
– Remedy for mosquitoes, flies, horseflies and ticks;
– Isothermal foil survival blanket;
– Matches or a lighter in a waterproof package;
– Chargers and cords for your electronic devices (power bank or compact solar panel);
– Energy, protein, muesli bars, dry fruits, chocolate, nuts or other preferred snacks.
Mountain and skiing guides in Kazakhstan, Freeride, Backcountry, Alpine touring and heli-skiing in Kazakhstan, Ski-mountaineering expeditions in Kazakhstan, Hut and yurt based backcountry in Kazakhstan, Freeride tours in Kazakhstan, Authentic freeride experience in Central Asia, Skiing guides in Almaty, Guided freeride tours in Almaty, Freeride ski resorts in Almaty, Backcountry trips in Kazakhstan, Tent backcountry camps in Kazakhstan
© Powder Nomads, Almaty city, Kazakhstan
All rights reserved.